I’m in the mood to discuss pet peeves. Why are they called “pet” anyway? Animals have nothing to do with complaining about something that irks you. Unless that animal is EmmaLou, Golden Destroyer and she’s chewed something again. That could actually qualify as a pet peeve.
I’ve been thinking about things that irk me. Most of these could so easily be fixed if people would just stop and think about what they’re doing once in awhile. Here’s my latest list.
Top Ten Pet Peeves (in no particular order)
1. House repairs that start small and end up costing you an arm and a leg. See below for my latest home catastrophe. And, no, that’s not Devoted Spouse, that’s Construction Repair Dude. I only wish Devoted Spouse could repair this.
2. Drivers who simply refuse to use their turn signals. Worse yet are those who use them but turn the other direction. Yikes! I think there auto (sorry) be a way that car manufacturers can program into the vehicle a special kill switch. I’ll call it the Boppo switch. Here’s how it works: You make a right or left turn without using a turn signal and a gloved hand comes out of the dashboard and smacks the crap outta you. No, wait, that could cause an accident. I’ll work on this one later. Just please start using your turn signals.
3. People who yell at or make rude gestures toward road construction crews. Am I the only person in the world who actually waves and says thank you to these guys? The other day I was on an outreach with church and we gave away dozens and dozens of Krispy Kreme donuts to construction guys. These guys were simply flabbergasted that we would do that for them. One looked at me and said, “Nobody likes us.” I think that’s sad. I challenge each and every one of you to be kinder to road construction crews. I know, I know, it often seems as if they are standing around doing nothing. But there is a great amount of the time they are working very hard for us – so go do something nice for them. Or, at least stop with the rude gestures.
4. Sweaty gym equipment. ‘Nuff said.
5. Older men who wear baggy shorts, then sit in front of you and their shorts are gaping at the leg — ick — Stop.It.Now.
6. Salesmen who sell you something you truly don’t need and definitely can’t afford and they take such great pleasure in it. I’m not even going into detail here coz I got sweet-talked recently. (hangs head) (This is where Sheldon would say, “Bazinga!”)
7. Drivers who consistently drive 5 miles below the speed limit. They are always in front of me. I think this is a special delivery from God straight to me as a test of my vocabulary.
8. People who leave their dogs in a car/truck/SUV on a summer day when it’s 85 degrees outside and the sun is shining. Oh, they crack the window, but the poor animal suffers in well over 100 degree heat inside that vehicle! I’ve seen this happen at church and out at shopping centers or grocery stores. Why, I ask you, must a pet accompany you to church??!! I’m assuming you have a temperature controlled environment where you live. LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME! That’s why God made large crates and kennels. You can find them at any pet store. They’re not that expensive — we have one for EmmaLou. I have been known to be quite insane over this issue, going so far as to call police.
9. Nail polish that chips the third day of your vacation.
10. Discovering mold way deep inside the box of blueberries after you’ve already brought them all the way home from the grocery. Grrrr.
Okay, that’s enough pet peeves for one posting. I need to go to the store to return blueberries and pick up a lottery ticket which hopefully will win and I can pay for the house re-construction…sigh…